Tuesday, August 10, 2010

I Don't Need a Pass- I'm With the Sand

It's been a while since my last blog. Things have, all of a sudden, gotten very hectic around TUMC. I want to take the opportunity to now to turn away from my own endeavours and promote one of the coolest things I have ever seen.



A few years ago, I was at a youth conference in North Carolina. The featured "entertainer" (for lack of a better word) for the weekend was Joe Castillo, a sand artist. At first, I wondered what in the world that meant. I thought it sounded a little hokey, like the guys who come to music fests and build big sand castles. But Joe's work absolutely blew my mind.

Sand art, for Joe, starts with a plate of glass covered in sand. There is a camera below the glass, and Joe stands over the top of it. Joe's art is projected to the audience. Music starts, and Joe gathers the sand and "paints" biblical scenes with the it. But Joe does not paint one scene. Instead, the scene constantly changes (and it is choreographed with the music very well), until he finishes "painting" a biblical story. The best way I can describe it is "movie art". I know this doesn't help you very well with understanding what it is, so here are some videos of it.


No comments:

Post a Comment