Monday, June 28, 2010

A New Chapter

So, as you can probably tell, I have updated my blog. But I have done so in concert with an update in my own life. I graduated from Duke Divinity School in May, and I am now one week in to my first appointment as a United Methodist pastor. I am now serving as the Associate Minister for Evangelism and Young Adults at Trinity United Methodist Church in Homewood, AL.




The above picture is of the front entrance to the main sanctuary at Trinity. Trinity is a large church in suburban Birmingham. Its membership currently sits at around 3,500 members. Compared to most UMC congregations, Trinity is very young- 80% of new members in 2009 were under 40 years old. But more surprising still, is that Trinity doing all the same things that traditional UMC churches have been doing all along- two traditional worship services (complemented by one contemporary service), Sunday School, UMYF, UMW, you name it. But, as I can tell in my first week, Trinity is doing these things the right way. Perhaps I can flesh those practices more as this newly refreshed blog continues to unfold.


My responsibilities at Trinity will be to work with the Young Adult (ages 21-35) ministries and programming here, to help bring in new members, and to help those new members assimilate into the faith community here by finding their calling in service to God. I am blessed to work with a talented and faithful staff here, and I can already tell that they will be a big help. I am humbled to serve in this position, and if anything I do serves to open one person's eyes to the Kingdom of God, then it is by God's prevenient grace. Deo Gratias.

2 comments:

  1. Drew, I hope the new appointment is going well. That seems like a very exciting place to begin your ministry. I look forward to reading your thoughts! I, too, find blogging to be an enjoyable outlet. Blessings on your work.

    -Mack (the other Drew from Palmyra)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome, Drew. Can't wait to hear about how God is blessing your ministry and what the people at Trinity are doing right!

    ReplyDelete